Anyone who knows me knows just how big of a Wonder Woman freak I am. I studied her history and the life of her creator, psychologist William Moulton Marston. I’ve read her comics and followed her life, death, and rebirth over and over again. I even have a tattoo of her symbol on my arm (and gave the tattoo artist a dirty look when he asked, “Who is this, Weezer?”). Of course what I remember most about Wonder Woman is watching Linda Carter spin around turning from Diana to Wonder Woman, she of the starry briefs, invisible plane, and Lasso of Truth. How I wanted to be her.
So of course when I heard a new movie was coming out featuring my idol, I was excited and just a bit anxious. I have the same question going through my mind right now that may sound familiar to many — “How will they ruin the thing I love?”
It’s a fact — the human race is not a fan of change. And yes, that means your clients. So when you need to make a change, how can you avoid alienating your audience?
Let’s take a scenario here:
Company X has been around for a long time. And when I say a long time I mean a LONG time – almost 100 years. It’s known for a product that is well beloved by its customers. Unfortunately, this product is past its prime. Technology has removed its usefulness and Company X has been drowning for some time. The company’s leadership scrambles to come up with a solution. A revamped product maybe? When news leaks about plans to change the product, their loyal fan base goes insane. “No change!” they cry. What can Company X do to save its fan base while gaining new fans?
Tricky, tricky. But it is possible with the right rebranding strategy in place. Here are a few things Company X can to do to make the majority of people happy:
- Do your research before starting any rebranding strategy. See what’s working and what isn’t. This will give you a better idea of what needs to be fixed.
- Get feedback. You want to get your customers involved in the process. Send out surveys, give them a call, learn what your customers will think if you do change that beloved product. But only take so much of their suggestions. Remember, it’s your company so follow your research.
- Tell a story. We love stories here at ENX2 (in case you couldn’t tell from my Wonder Woman story) and we tell clients all the time to tell a story. And your brand needs a good one. It needs to be one that everyone can get behind and be inspired to believe in your brand.
- Promote, promote, promote. You need to show everyone that yes, you are the same company, only in a different package. Think of it as starting from scratch – you need to start the branding process all over again and that means promotion. Spread it all over social media. Send out a press release. Make sure your logo is everywhere.
- Stay consistent. If you decide to rebrand, you need to stick with it. Don’t just give up in a week and go back to your old ways. This is you now so become that brand! Soon enough, even more people will follow.
Remember, it’s not possible to please everyone. But with the right rebranding strategy in place, they will learn to love your new self.
Don’t be afraid of change. You may end up losing something good, but you will most likely end up with something way better.
And if you need help, hey that’s what we’re here for. Contact ENX2 Marketing and see how we can help you with your business