A lot of married people are in serious trouble these days, thanks to the Ashley Madison website hack. In case you’ve been under a rock, you’ve heard this story – hackers had obtained client information from the adultery-friendly website and exposed the list to the world. According to recent news, at least two suicides are possibly linked to the hacking and we all know the troubles that TLC star Josh Duggar got himself into. Not only does this scandal give divorce lawyers new clients; it’s also a good lesson in how vulnerable your website could be to hackers.
You might think that since you’re a lawyer, no one will want to go hacking into your website. Or maybe you think your website security is top notch. But don’t be too sure of yourself there – no one is safe from a cyberattack. Sure you may be a lawyer with nothing really personal on your website. But a hacker could hijack your website, demand a ransom, and possible smear your reputation in the process. No matter how big or small your law firm is, your site can be some hacker’s next target.
But there are ways to protect your website from hackers, even for those who may not be a master of the Internet. Here’s a few tips on website security:
- Keep your admin panel secure. Use a good user name and password that is tough to figure out.
- Keep all your software up to date. Many software updates include security patches; by delaying an update, you can make your site vulnerable.
- Scan your site for malware. That’s usually the easiest way for a hacker to get into your site.
- Update your information frequently. You should consider changing your passwords every few months.
- Install a firewall and security programs on your site.
- Hide your admin page from search engines.
- Use encrypted SSL on your website when transferring personal information from your website and your database. The extra security prevents information being read in transit or allow someone without the proper authority to access the info.
If you’re looking for someone to create a secure but good looking website, you’ve come to the right place! Contact us today for a free, 20-minute consultation.